Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Guidelines from Christian Home Church Network

I think that these guidelines for doing a house church are a really good place to start. Especially interesting are some of the issues I have been struggling with. Things that I have felt for some time are wrong about our traditional churches. One is the idea that "everyone is welcome at our church". The Body of Christ is just that, the gathering of believers in Jesus. Evangelism should take place outside the church not in its walls. I heard someone say that a big problem with today's church is that what should be the biggest force for evangelism has turned into the biggest field for evangelism. For example, I can't imagine trying to grow as a Christian while listening to endless arguments for a subject like the existence of God. That type of topic should be settled long before entering into a gathering of Christians. Would you go to a meeting of American Athiests posing as a potential member and then argue the existence of God during thier meetings? I don't think you would get very far. Its amazing to me that so many go to churches and have little or no interest in God.
A second point is that children should be included whenever possible. I have always had a problem with the separation of families in traditional settings. I understand if there are special teachings or subjects discussed that are not age-appropriate that we need to have something different for the children. But during regular worship (teaching, study, sacraments, music, etc.) the entire family should be included.

Finally, the admonition to avoid imitating other churches. Letting God lead and develop the community of believers is and exciting and essential process. I cannot imagine trying to do this thing and not having gone through all the stumbling, bumbeling trials and errors we have attempted.
I have only highlighted a few areas but all these guidelines are excellent. I know that sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't work out the same in real experience but, hey, we all gotta start somewhere!

No comments: