Saturday, December 6, 2008

VeggieTales...You Gotta Love 'em!

I just got through watching the Veggie Tales movie, “The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything”. It was hilarious and very well done. Three wimpy and cowardly busboys in a pirate-themed restaurant who are transported to a real swashbuckling world and called to be heroes in an adventure to rescue a princess from a terrifying pirate avoiding walking mountains of rock and man-eating cheese curls…now that’s an awesome movie right there! I remember seeing complaints on their website by parents who didn’t like that it wasn’t based on a biblical story. The fact that they were dense enough to miss the amazing spiritual message is unreal. It was incredible and just what I needed to hear.

The message was in-your-face saying that God calls everyday “busboys” to be heroes…and what are heroes? Ordinary people who do what is right no matter what the cost. I think Pa Grape had the best line in the whole film (non-comedic line, that is). He was a father who’s son, it was said, thinks he is such a loser he doesn’t want to hang out with him. Pa Grape says, “maybe the reason my son doesn’t look up to me is because I haven’t given him much to look up to”. Wow, how many fathers (including me) would be challenged by that line.

Then come Mr. Lunt who is completely lazy and always stops when he sees the road ahead might be too difficult or energy consuming. And Larry the cucumber who is very cowardly always talking about his list of things that scare him.

I am all three of these characters. I’ve given in to temptation so many times that I have often made myself a loser like Pa Grape. Even now I look at the monumental tasks that are in front of me and sigh thinking that the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel is too faint to be real like Mr. Lunt. I ask, "Can I really take care of my family? Can I really live a pure life? Is it actually possible to be a man that is truly sold out to God?" And I constantly think of terrible things happening to me or my family living in fear like Larry. Loss of job, home catching on fire, nationwide disaster, terrorists, invading armies on our shores, or just someone breaking into my home and harming my family when I am at work. I can think up any number of tragedies that probably will never happen.

But the truly sobering part of the message of this movie is that when God calls you, he gives you everything you need to complete the task. Everything you need…wow. I remember once scene when the danger was great and the little gizmo that brought them to the adventure was blinking its blue light. That meant that they could push the button and go home or stay and continue to try to save the princess. Of course, they chose to stay but later found out it was just a test to see if they would make the right decision. How many times have I failed the test? I want to pass it next time!

In the end, as they prepared to leave they were invited to stay and remain as heroes in the days of sail and adventure. Pa Grape says, “no thanks, life is enough of a great adventure for us”. When God calls, He doesn’t call to a mundane boring existence but to a great adventure. We are on that now and when danger lurks, tragedy strikes or the task seems too monumental to overcome, that’s when the adventure becomes the greatest. AND that’s when we (I) need to remember that God has given us ALL we need to succeed…In His eyes!

God has called us to do something amazing. To be a house church. I can’t say I am sure what that is except that we are to be a representation of the Body of Christ in our home and community. What else will happen? Well, I don’t really know…it’s an adventure. But God has given us everything we need to accomplish that task. Our job is to do what is right…no matter what the cost!

No comments: